The Lure of Pink

January 5, 2012

Earlier this week we made a baby gift for one of Rachel’s coworkers.So we decided we would try a couple of baby patterns that we had from the book “Weekend Sewing” by Heather Ross and John Greun. The coworker had a girl, and even though I went into the fabric store DETERMINED that I was not going to buy something pink (I like to think I’m more creative and original than that), I came across a patterned corduroy with pink flowers, and I got suckered. Of course, once I’d found something that I was in love with, I could find almost nothing that matched with the slightly unusual color palette. Except more pink.

Once I got home, I got to take on problem two with this project. All of the patterns from the book are on two pull-out sheets. I had no idea where the pattern sheets for the book were. I’m sure I put them somewhere that I wouldn’t lose them. However, the book does have sketches of what the patterns looked like, so between the sketches and my sewing experience, I decided to just wing it, and drew the pattern pieces on tracing paper with a ruler.

The two pieces we were making were a kimono-wrap top, and a pair of corduroy pants. Rachel did most of the construction on the top, and I did the pants. Image

This picture shows the top with one side crossed over, and the other side open. The sewing on this is actually very basic, it is essentially attaching a series of rectangles. The slightly tricky things on this top were attaching the bias tape, and the ribbon that you see at the side. Bias tape either requires you to sew two seams, or hope you have everything lined up an pinned really well, and your seam is straight, so you catch all of the appropriate layers. The other thing is the ribbon in the side seam. It needs to be on the outside when you are finished, so when you’re sewing, the raw end of the ribbon sticks out towards you, and all of the rest of the ribbon is inside the shirt. I think it just seems so wrong, even though it’s totally logical when you think about it, that people are always tempted to put in in the wrong place.

The other piece we made was a pair of corduroy pants. This was the original fabric that I fell in love with, but ultimately the pattern I was much more nervous about. I’ve made pants before, so I understand the basic shapes, but I wanted to make sure I left enough room for diaper-butt, and still made pants that pulled up appropriately.

Once I made the pattern, the pants were assembled like any other pair of pants, which leads me to the other thing we learned from this project. Babies are tiny. This may seem obvious, but when you’re sewing for them, it means if you can hem small spaces like cuffs and sleeves before you finish construction, do it, because otherwise it will be litt anImage

This picture shows a close up of the fabric, along with the button I chose to decorate the front. I picked a fairly plain button, because we already had a lot of pattern going on. If you look closely at this picture, you can also see one of the best tips I’ve learned about making pants. There is a small seam perpendicular to the elastic. There is one in front, and one in back. By putting in these seams, you can keep the gathering spread relatively equally around a waistband. Also, if your casing is slightly larger than your elastic, it keeps the elastic from getting twisted in the wash.

In the end, the final product looks like this:

Image

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: